Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is the use of oxygen under higher than normal atmospheric pressure.
Increasing the atmospheric pressure creates an environment where oxygen gas dissolves more easily into the surrounding liquids, such as the blood plasma and cerebrospinal fluids. This increased oxygenation allows for many health benefits, such as cell growth and regeneration, detoxification, immune support, new capillary growth, and improved neurological functioning.
At Frost Fit we offer mild Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (mHBOT). mHBOT is therapy at 1.3 atmospheres. High HBOT is usually administered at 1.5-2 atmospheres. HBOT at lower pressures are safer, generally without major side-effects, and better for chronic illnesses.
A study done by Quebec/McGill found that mild HBOT provided the same results as higher HBOT in patients with cerebral palsy and the patients had fewer side effects.
One of the great advantages of mHBOT is the low number of contraindications, risks and side effects. “This is one of the lowest risk procedures in all of medicine,” says Paul Harch, M.D., a leading hyperbaric medicine expert, about mHBOT.
Any condition which results in inflammation in the body can benefit from HBOT. HBOT increases the dosage of oxygen and delivers more O2 to damaged areas in the body and stimulates the healing process. Oxygen is one of the most natural antibiotics and it controls over 8000 genes. A course of 20 sessions of hyperbaric therapy increases our stem cells eightfold.
What are the Benefits of mHBOT?
mHBOT provides numerous health benefits such as cell growth and regeneration, detoxification, immune support, new capillary growth, and improved neurological functioning. Professional athletes have adopted mHBOT as a regular part of their training regimens; in this instance, the concept is: “Train hard, recover faster, train even harder, perform at a higher level.” Many physicians now recommend mHBOT for their surgical patients to speed healing and reduce scarring, and for the treatment of other conditions.
People from all walks of life use mHBOT for its many advantages, which include:
- Increased energy and endurance
- Relief from altitude illness
- Improved concentration and cognitive abilities
- Increased antioxidant levels within the body
- Effective treatment for digestive disorders and headaches
- Faster recovery from injury and/or surgery
- Relief from aching, swollen joints and muscles
- Improved motor function and equilibrium
- An overall feeling of healthy rejuvenation
How Can mHBOT Help Me?
mHBOT at Frost Fit has been successfully used to treat a wide variety of health concerns and is also used by individuals as a proactive, preventive way to stay healthy. Numerous healing benefits in addition to the regenerative and anti-aging effects of mHBOT are well-documented for the following:
- Arthritis/Inflammatory Conditions
- Chronic Pain
- Musculoskeletal Injury
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Head Trauma
- A Relaxing Experience
mHBOT at Frost Fit is a peaceful, enjoyable experience. Our state-of-the-art hyperbaric chamber is comfortable and spacious enough to accommodate two people. Patients can stretch out in total comfort and read, listen to music or even use a computer while oxygen therapy bestows its benefits. Many people practice breathing, relaxation and even stretching techniques during their sessions. A typical treatment lasts one hour, and patients breathe oxygen-enriched air (90% oxygen) through a mask or a nasal cannula to maximize the effectiveness of the therapy.
Possible side effects:
- Ear and Sinus pain or discomfort from the change of pressure, this can be minimized by ventilating or (popping) the ears well during pressurization, or by slowing your dive speed/ descend a little until you are comfortable. (common)
- Temporary Drowsiness (common)
- Temporary Hyperactivity (common)
- Temporary Dizziness (rare)
- Temporary Vision changes (rare)
- A temporary Headache or nausea (Can be caused by die off or enhanced detoxification) (rare)
- Temporary Regression (Can be caused by die off or enhanced detoxification) (rare)
- Acute asthma attack
- High Fever
- Uncontrolled seizure disorder
- Optic Neuritis
- Known ear infection or upper respiratory infection
- An aneurysm * Glaucoma * Pregnancy
- Severe heart or lung disease
- Congenital spherocytosis
- Currently taking: Cisplatinum, Disulphiram, or Doxorubicin
Disclaimer: Although mild hyperbaria has been reported to be beneficial for a wide range of conditions, this treatment is not meant as a cure for any condition or disease and no therapeutic outcomes can be guaranteed.